Thursday, January 22, 2015

Chad Will Fight And He Will Win

Chad M. Cavitt - Born November 30, 1970. Fresh out of high school, he enlisted to defend his country. By the time he was 27 - he had three beautiful daughters and a lifetime of experience. He went through things no young man ever should. But he preserved. 
At 38 years old he became a father for a fourth time to a bouncing baby boy. Shortly there-after, he became a grand father for the first time. 
This is where I enter the picture. Chad is my now my husband and we've been married for just over four years. Since I've been in his life his baby boy turned 6 and we have welcomed two more grand children into the picture.
On January 7th - life threw him another curve ball. Chad was diagnosed with  Signet ring cell carcinoma of the appendix. This blog will tell his story through my eyes.

Morning January 3, 2015 - Bad BBQ

We had BBQ the night before for dinner. Chad insisted the Cole Slaw tasted bad and after a few bites, I couldn't disagree. His theory seemingly became confirmed when I got sick just a few hours later. Sometime throughout the night, Chad ended up getting sick too and was in severe pain. Unfortunately, this is nothing new. Chad has had stomach issues for most of his adult life. A tummy ache for a normal person would be a truly traumatic event for him. A year and a half ago, we went through this exact same scenario and Chad spent two days in the hospital and they ran every test you can imagine. No one could pin-point what caused his stomach issues. The VA then took over and began running the same tests and more and to this day, no one was ever able to determine what was causing him this pain. The best anyone could suggest was a sever case of IBS.

At approximately 8 AM Saturday morning, I took Chad to the ER. We explained his history and that the pain he is experiencing was the exact same thing he felt the last time he was admitted into the hospital. The doctor did have a new theory we never heard of and took a blood test and sent away for the results. They got his pain under control with pain meds and while he felt a little off, they sent us home with a prescription for nauseous. I had to specifically request something for pain. I took chad home, got him comfortable and went to fill his prescription. While I was gone, his pain returned in folds and I had to rush him back to the ER.

Afternoon Jan 3, 2015 - ER From Hell

I phoned ahead and let the ER know that his pain had returned and we were heading back to the ER. We had to go through the same red tape that we did just hours before and sat in the waiting room for what seemed an eternity. Chad was hunched in sever pain and at one point another woman waiting to see a doctor told me we had to take him to see the nurse. I explained they wouldn't do anything but she insisted and came with me. I was right. They would do nothing but put us into another room to wait. Eventually we got into an ER room but no one did anything. Over an hour passed (three hours in total for this second stint) and no one did a goddamn thing for my husband other than give him a blanket.

I lost my cool and had a few words with the nurse. She attempted to explain her position and I reaffirmed that my husband was in severe pain and needed help immediately. Within 30 minutes he was resting comfortably with an IV in his arm and pain medication running through him.

Evening Jan 3, 2015 - Fight For Your Right

We've been in this room for hours waiting for the doctor to come see us. Apparently the hospital has protocol that if you return to the ER within 48 you have to see the same doctor you seen previously (wtf) Finally when he arrived, he didn't really have anything to add and wanted to send us home again. I asked about him being admitted into the hospital and he said he couldn't really without any reason. I explained, as calmly as I could, that my husband was in extreme pain and no one knows why. I told them I was uncomfortable taking him home because I am not qualified to care for him and when these drugs wear off and the pain returns, I am NOT going to sit through another 6 hours like I just did so that they can do absolutely nothing again.

They said because of his insurance being through the VA, that they would have to call them and submit a request and it could take hours. I said.. "I've got time".

In my mind, I would much rather sit there for another three hours with medical professionals caring for him, than at home with nothing but a hope and a prayer at my disposal. The doctor instructed the nurse to go ahead and contact the VA.

Eventually, the nurse returned and told Chad they were going to give him a CT Scan. I asked why and she explained just to rule out or find out what could be wrong. I asked for an update on the VA and she said they were still waiting. 

Night Jan 3, 2015 - Liar, Liar Pants on Fire

The night doctor came in to tell us that nothing seemed unusual on his CT Scan and they suggested we go home again. I asked about a follow-up on the VA situation and she said they hadn't even made the call yet. I said I was under the impression that started hours ago and she said she couldn't just request that without having some reason. Meaning, if they asked "What have you done so far to determine what's wrong" and she didn't want to look like the jackasses that they were and say "nothing". 

She told me it was unlikely they would approve it and they are required by law to transport him to the Marion, IL Medical Facility unless they do not have a bed available for him there. I said "Try." So they did. And we waited.

After little to no updates, I decided to call the VA myself and spoke directly with the person who was over-seeing the admittance request. He told me Chad was not eligible for "Transport Insurance" meaning, we would have to pay for the ambulance which would be upwards of $1,000. I said we did not have that kind of money and to please consider that when making the decision as to whether or not they admit him.

Apparently they did because within ten minutes, the doctor returned and told us they got approval to admit Chad into the hospital.

12:01 AM Jan 4, 2015 - Finally Admitted

By the time Chad was actually admitted into the hospital and comfortably tucked into his hotel room it was after midnight, probably after 1 AM. I don't even remember. I went home for a quick shower and to get some things and came back to spend the night. 

We had no idea what was to come, we were just hopeful someone would be able to find out what was wrong and get the pain under control. If we only knew...

No comments:

Post a Comment